Thank you to everyone who expressed their condolences following the passing of our friend Eric Taylor. I attended the funeral and paid my respects.
On a happier note, I had a great time at Weird and Wonderful Wood last weekend, great to see so many people there. It was also great to get back to Herts and Beds Woodturners this week to complete the demo I started sometime last year. It was a fun evening, thank you folks.

Onto the questions, starting with this one from a regular user. They normally finish with a combination of Cellulose Sanding Sealer and Acrylic Satin Lacquer on their boxes. But this time, the box has a paper lining on the inside base. What should be done? And can the paper be protected, somehow?
If the paper isn’t already attached, I’d finish the box as normal, spray the paper with the lacquer (after a test on a spare piece), and then insert it.

If the paper is attached, it can be sprayed in situ, but the sealer shouldn’t be used on it.

Another correspondent had used the Buffing Compounds direct onto a pen; was this a good idea, they asked – especially as it had gone slightly wrong!
It’s not something I’d try, a liquid such as Burnishing Cream would be better as this would lubricate the surface at the same time.
Where this had gone badly wrong was, when trying to polish out a mark, the Acrylic Lacquer used had melted. Or so they thought. This isn’t really possible; instead, what I expect happened was that the lacquer wasn’t properly dry. It has skinned over, so it felt dry but was still liquid underneath. Too thick a coat of the lacquer (or pretty much any product) will cause this.
When pressure was applied, the top layer was broken, releasing the liquid beneath, giving the impression that it had melted.

We try very hard to answer all the questions that come in to us, but some are beyond our capability…
Such was one that came in last month, complaining that the Melamine Gloss Lacquer was ‘considerably’ raising the grain when it was applied. This is, as far as we’re concerned, impossible, so we were flummoxed.
So, we did what we always do and asked for a thorough breakdown of the process from when the last tool touched the timber through to when the lacquer was applied.

The wood was sanded, wiped down, and the lacquer applied. No sealer was used, and we asked what the surface was wiped with, and what signs of raised grain were visible.
The trail went quiet for about a month, until we finally heard back to be told that the cloths being used were leaving behind very small pieces of fluff that gave a rough texture similar to raised grain. So, whilst we couldn’t answer it, at least the mystery was solved.

Our Woodturning Weekender looms ever closer; but the deadline for making the livestream of it happen is approaching even faster. We still need to sell more tickets to at least cover most of the extra cost this entails. If you’re still trying to decide, it’s best to do so soon, or the livestream might not happen at all.
I’ll be back again next week!